Lisa S's Black Bean Burgers with Sofrito and Spicy Mojo Mayo
This delicious black bean burger is a must-try recipe for vegetarians and vegans!
- ¼ cup ground chia seeds ground
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground oregano
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ small sweet onion
- ¼ green bell pepper
- 8 sundried tomatoes, not in oil
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 - 15.5 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- Olive oil for frying burgers (or grill over a medium fire)
Spicy Mojo Mayo Ingredients
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- (seeds optional)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small bunch of cilantro (trim off the thick stems)
- ½ cup vegan mayo or your favorite mayo
- 18 tsp. ground oregano
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Grind chia seeds in a food processor until the consistency of coarse pepper. Put in a bowl.
- Add walnuts, oatmeal, cumin, oregano, sea salt, and pepper to a food processor. Pulse until coarsely ground. Add to bowl with chia seeds.
- Pulse all the sofrito ingredients in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Add to bowl with dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Heat skillet over medium-low heat. Pour enough olive oil in a skillet to coat the bottom. Form patties and fry (or grill) for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Make the spicy mayo. In a food processor, pulse jalapeno pepper, garlic clove, and a small bunch of cilantro until coarsely chopped, but not pureed.
- Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in the mayo, oregano, and cumin. Serve chilled with burgers.
- Serve on a toasted bun or lettuce leaves with your favorite burger toppings.