floridacentral Credit Union was established in 1958. Back then it was called Tampa Central Credit Union and served as the credit union for other credit unions, since regulations then stated that board members and managers were not allowed to belong to the credit union in which they served.
After that regulation was eliminated, Tampa Central Credit Union expanded its "field of membership" by introducing Select Employee Groups (SEGs), which allowed employees of specific companies to utilize the benefits of credit union membership. Shortly after, Tampa Central Credit Union branched out to Orlando and changed its name to Florida Central Credit Union. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, Florida Central Credit Union petitioned the state of Florida for a community charter in order to serve Hillsborough and other surrounding counties and allowing anyone who lives or works in those counties to join the credit union.
Florida Central Credit Union continued to grow throughout the years. In 2006, Florida Central revamped its look and feel with a new branding campaign which included making Florida Central Credit Union into floridacentral Credit Union...the credit union you can bank on. floridacentral also made branch renovations and relocated a few branches to new locations.
In 2007, floridacentral merged with St. Petersburg Municipal Employees Credit Union, turning the location into our St. Pete Branch and then in February 2010, floridacentral opened the Clearwater Branch. In February 2012, floridacentral opened the Seminole Branch adding another branch to our Pinellas County branch network. Currently, floridacentral Credit Union serves nearly 47,000 members and over 1,000 SEGs with 10 west-central Florida branches.
Learn how to join floridacentral on our Membership Page.